First things first - What is a sample wedding dress?
Basically - A sample dress is a wedding gown that isn’t made to order but instead is taken off the rack. Most samples are exactly that, store samples that brides try on during their appointments as they search for ‘The One’ (Sometimes they can be brand new dresses so keep your eyes peeled for those hidden gems!)
Not all Brides consider purchasing a sample gown but there's so many benefits to share with you that we think we can convert every savvy shopper.
Buying off the peg saves you heaps and heaps of time so instead of waiting up to 6 months (maybe even longer!) you can take away your dress on the day. No anxious waiting, no pre-wedding nightmares that you’ll hate your dress when 6 months rolls around – It’s all done and dusted in an afternoon.
This is perfect for brides getting hitched at short notice – After all, if a laid back affair in the next few months is right up your street then go for it! We don't think any Bridechilla’s out there should sacrifice their dream dress, right?
Sample dresses are often 30-70% off standard RRP (sometimes even less *fancy coming to see us on Saturday 11th august anyone?*) These are amazing discounts on a designer wedding dresses – Think the craftsmanship and details of high end designer but at retail prices.
Perfect for Brides on a budget that don’t want to sacrifice their ‘princess for a day’ dreams or even just savvy Brides that know with a huge 50% saving on their dress they can buy an awesome pair of shoes (and still have money to spare!)
Save time and money but don’t sacrifice the once in a lifetime experience of boutique shopping! There’s nothing quite like your own dedicated consultant fawning over the details of your day or an exclusive shopping event with a glass of bubbly in hand.
Low prices shouldn’t mean low expectations when it comes to customer service in store. Sample Sale exclusive days might have different rules in place (shorter appointments, other Brides shopping) but nonetheless it will be a friendly experience with an expert that will make you feel a million dollars (even if you’re only paying 300!)
Sample Dress Checklist:
The benefits of a sample dress are amazing but it’s important to come prepared when you shop too.
Here’s a list of our best advice:
- Ask the boutique in advance what dresses will be in the sale, maybe there’s a page on their website you can look at or perhaps some posts on social media (or failing that just take a peek at their normal collection so you know what to expect and whether it’s your style.) Sale specific appointments won’t be a long so it’s likely you can only try 2/3 dresses on in your time slot so make it dresses that count.
- It’s important to go for a dress that fits well or is nearly there – Generally we suggest a gown can be sized down 2 dress sizes and up by 1 dress size but this does vary according to designer, fabric and silhouette and of course depending on your body shape and proportions. Consider how soon your wedding is, it’s not wise to buy a dress two sizes two big if your wedding is 3 weeks away. With that in mind only try on samples in your dress size or 1 up/ 1 down to avoid disappointment.
- Wear and tear is reflected in the price so check your dress before you commit. Sometimes the discount is due to the gown becoming discontinued or the boutique is introducing different designers and so on but always take a look over the dress before you say yes. Much of the damage will be cosmetic and something a seamstress could rectify – Think loose beading etc. But remember in most boutiques sample dresses are sold as seen and non-refundable so make sure you’re happy with it before you buy.
- Sample dresses are always in a standard UK dress size so it's highly likely you'll need some alterations to make it fit perfectly. Ask the boutique if they can recommend a seamstress and make sure you leave lots of time for alterations, just in case.
- Be prepared to part with your cash because sample dresses will need to be paid in full up front and even though you’ll be making an amazing saving you still could be parting with several hundred or even thousands of pounds so come into store with the attitude that if you find your dress today you can pay for it there and then.
- With that in mind remember that there’s only one style of each dress available so if you love it but aren’t feeling ready to say yes another lucky bride could have snapped it up by the time you're 100% ready. Stores won't hold dresses during a sample sale.
- Sample sales are BUSY! So don't be too upset if you can't being along lots of guests to your appointment. There's limited time and space so all your opinionated bridesmaids tagging along might make choosing your special dress even more difficult.
And last but not least - Have Fun! Finding your wedding dress should be the most exciting part of your wedding plans so enjoy Ladies and remember, we're having our biggest ever sale on Saturday 11th August so if you want to make some amazing savings on Sophia Tolli, Kenneth Winston, Ella Rosa, Pronovias and Sweetheart dresses keep your eyes peeled for appointment slots - We can't wait to meet you.
We have been receiving lots of exciting parcels in the last couple of weeks- our brand new collection from Kenneth Winston and Ella Rosa! These dresses are absolutely stunning and have gone down a storm with the lovely brides who have been to see us. So many beautiful features, including (of course) the ever popular lace, stunning feature backs and the most beautiful beaded bodice we've ever seen! It's so exciting to see the brides' reactions to our fabulous new dresses- we love it! (and of course we can't resist a little trying on session ourselves- for research purposes of course!)
We are so excited about this weekend, not only is it Valentines Day (we love a bit of romance!) but we are also welcoming 12 fabulous gowns from Sophia Tolli's brand new collection for this weekend only. We love holding designer weekends, and this one promises to be extra special. The new collection is so exquisite- featuring misty tulle, crystal organza, hand beaded lace appliqués, beautiful backs and stunning trains- absolute bridal heaven! Here's a sneak peek at some of the gorgeous gowns we'll have here on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February- we just can't wait to show them to the lucky brides who have snapped up this weekends appointments xx
We are very proud stockists of these gorgeous gowns and have recently received our new collection for 2016, one word- stunning! The cut of these dresses is just beautiful and the lace detail is exquisite! Here's a little peek at some of our most recent arrivals- we know you'll love them as much as we do!
Here at Boxmoor Bridal Boutique, we absolutely love a veil! Used by the ancient Greeks to protect brides from evil spirits and worn as a symbol of purity in medieval times, veils are now worn mostly as that beautiful finishing touch. We get SO many brides who have already made up their mind not to wear one, and we always suggest to just give a veil a try, 9 times out of 10 everybody goes misty eyed (especially mums!), the bride "suddenly feels like a bride" and mind are firmly changed! There are so many different styles and lengths available to perfectly compliment your dress, you get a whole new look for your reception if you decide to take it off, and when else do you get the opportunity to wear one? Our most popular length is fingertip, but we have a real soft spot for a Cathedral length veil- just stunning!
Finally the wait is over! Our stunning new gowns from Sophia Tolli have started to come in- there is nothing more exciting then receiving that big box, knowing what beauties lie within! We have four gorgeous new additions today, unpacked, steamed (and maybe twirled around in a bit!) and ready for you fabulous brides to come and try for yourselves. We can't wait to see you in them.
We had such a great time at The Hertfordshire Wedding Show at The Watermill Hotel yesterday. We love this show particularly because as well as meeting lots of beautiful brides-to-be, we get to see lots of other local suppliers and see some familiar faces (who kindly provide us with cake and ice-cream!). Our favourite part though is the fashion show where we get to show lots of our beautiful dresses on the catwalk. We have a dream team of beautiful models (including our very own Anna!) and have the backstage dressing down to a fine art now- when we first started doing these shows it was all a bit frantic behind the scenes- corset laces flying everywhere! We were also lucky enough to have the wonderful and hugely talented Nyssa (find her here: www.nyssaaddison.co.uk) with us, doing hair and makeup, as well as backstage dressing and packing up- she's totally fab! The star of the show though was little Lucy who made her 'catwalk debut', getting lots of "ahs" as she waved to everybody watching the show- what a pro! A great day had by all!
A nineteenth-century wedding rhyme relating to the bride's wedding attire. Incorporating the elements of old, new, borrowed and blue in the bride's wedding dress was supposed to ensure happiness and prosperity in her married life. Many brides still choose to adopt the tradition today - are you one of them? And how are you including in in your wedding day?
and a silver sixpence in her shoe.
- Nineteenth-century wedding rhyme
It was a very exciting week for us last week as our gorgeous new flower girl dresses arrived at the Boutique! These beautiful dresses range from 0-3 months right up to 10 years old and are absolutely perfect for your little attendants. Here's a little look at a few of them, we hope you love them as much we do smile emoticon
The boutique was closed on Monday 9th March as we headed off to the London Bridal Show and what a fab (and productive) day we had! Highlights included meeting 'The' Kenneth and Winston, who design our beloved KennethWinston range, finding a fantastic range of flower girl dresses (too cute) and of course the complimentary champagne! We also got a preview of the upcoming bridal designs for 2016 and all we can say is wow! Such beautiful dresses, and we are so excited that we have some arriving in August, no pictures available at the moment as they are super exclusive but watch this space…